Monday, February 28, 2011

Welcome to Why I YA

When I was around 10 years old I told my family I was going to write books.  I was deep into Judy Blume at the time. They patted my head.  "You tell the best stories," they said. But convincing your mother you won a puppy in a school spelling bee (Yes that really happened) and actually putting words on paper, lots of words, is entirely different. Somewhere along life’s journey my first dream and reality parted ways. I started as an English major and, after much abuse from friends and family, switched to the "oh so practical" field of graphic design, earning a B.F.A from the Massachusetts College of Art. When I was laid off from my sure-bet job in what I believed was a solid field, I jumped at the opportunity to follow my first passion, throwing myself into writing with every minute unfortunately and miraculously afforded me. My “if not now, then when” moment surfaced, and I latched onto it like a life preserver. Programmed as a designer to tell stories in pictures, I had to learn how to write all over again, starting with an idea, a character, a dilemma; the possibilities were endless.  I survived writing the first novel relatively unscathed and infinitely more informed. I’m off on a journey to plot and write a sequel, as well as a whole new novel. Join me for the ride and witness just how many brain cells I might lose along the way. And if you’re in the same boat, by all means, grab an oar and let’s paddle through the process together. You know where I’m docked.

No comments:

Post a Comment