Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hello! My name is Demetra and I am an obsessive list maker—PART I


Hello! My name is Demetra and I am an obsessive list maker—PART I

There, I’ve said it. I am an obsessive list maker. I’m talking about multiple lists. There’s the grocery/shopping list, broken down by store, which comes complete with household mantra “If it’s not on the list, I don’t buy it.” Unless of course it’s something I see on whim and absolutely have to have. Then…so what…I’m the one out shopping. There’s the plain old TO DO list, used for anything unrelated to writing or eating, making it the list I frequently blow off. I reserve that list for things like: call the passport office and schedule an appointment.  There’s the bedside list, comprised mostly of the backside of old manuscript pages. I keep this list next to my bed to take notes while reading books by other authors, which is a great way to learn about writing. There’s the online networking list, because honestly, I need a plan for keeping up with my Etsy, Linkedin, Good Reads, Facebook, Fatal Threads | Facebook, Why I ya, and online writing group, Writing in Depth; a marketing plan. Yes, my marketing friends. I admitted to needing a marketing plan.

Post-it notes are the tiny rulers of my world. I love them so much I purchase them in bulk at Costco. They are in every room of my house.  Along with a black, fine-point RSVP pen (the reformulated, rereleased version of my favorite pen stinks – so glad I bought the mother load of them at the dollar store when it was rumored they were going to be discontinued), and a Papermate mechanical pencil. Very important note: Papermate mechanical, sharpwriter #2. Accept no substitutions. I jot down anything of importance that pops into my mind on the Post-it notes, which I stick onto the appropriate separate list or wait until I can’t see my desk and compile them, knocking off one pastel-colored task dictator at a time. I know there’s probably a better, more electronic way to handle my obsession, but for now, I’m good with the handwritten list. It’s fast. And, it gives me a good use for the twelve printed versions of my manuscript. Save the trees!

In Part II of this post I’ll let you know how using my obsessive list making might benefit my novel plotting.  See you soon!

2 comments:

  1. I actually envy list makers. They seem so "organized". I am trying to train myself to write things down as I think of them.

    New follower. I trickled over from Writing In Depth:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha. I have to. I can't keep it all in my head. Maybe start with the Stickie notes in a few room. lol.

    ReplyDelete