Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Post-It Note Saves the Day of Weary Writer

Nine crows studded the top of a Torrey pine in an arc, like an ominous crown, heralding the death of a king.

Today, I was visually drawn to a tree. The massive Torrey pine sits at a corner where I turn multiple times a day to make my way home. I looked up into the grey sky and saw a flock of crows, perched at the top in an arc. Racing home, I grabbed the nearest Post-it note and jotted down how much they looked like the gems of  crown, studding the top of the tree, ominous and beautiful. You never know when inspiration will strike. 

Note to self: keep your eyes open. Experience sights and sounds. 


8 comments:

  1. i'm hooked. Can't wait to read the rest of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this idea- Open your eyes and expereince sights and sounds. Lovely advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! It's the first line - give or take a tweak- of my new book. It foreshadows the backstory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The work of a writer is to live as a truthful as possible and to write down what happens...truthfully.

    http://smashingstories.blogspot.com/2011/03/part-about-breathing.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! It can be hard to find ways to describe things in a unique way. Great job on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes if I get a jolt of inspiration I'll grab my blackberry and email it to myself.
    Nice to meet you and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lydia -
    This is genius. I'm going to do that next time. But, not while driving. Ooohh I have a digital voice recorder though. I need to keep that with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great advice and so true. I need to do better at keeping my eyes open. The post-it note thing is a great idea.

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete