Sunday, March 6, 2011

Young Adult Authors Weigh in on Why They YA.

“I write for young adults because I clearly remember the books that I read as a teenager. They had such an impact on me and have continued to hold an important place in my heart. Having the opportunity to connect with young people at such a critical time in their lives is a privilege. I'm honored to write for them!”

Michelle Zink, author of Prophecy of the Sisters and Guardian of the gate. Her debut novel, Prophecy of the Sisters was named to Booklist’s Top 10 First Novels for Youth, 2009.Michelle lives in New York and has always been fascinated with ancient myths and legends. Nice doesn’t even begin to do Michelle justice. When reading her blog or communicating with her via email, I find her to be genuinely caring and and sincere in everything she does.

 “I write the kinds of books I like to read.”

Rachel Vincent, author of the Shifters Series, and the young adult urban fantasy series, Soul Screamers. She is almost fanatical about plotting and outlining her books and is happy to share her process on her blog. Rachel is a consummate professional, evident in the number of novels she’s written, while juggling her blog, publicity and events.

“I was a big-time reader as a tween and teen, so I hoped to one day write stories that would appeal to readers in those age ranges. As an adult, I spent one summer reading over one hundred books of all different types to decide what to focus upon for my writing. Contemporary YA was the best fit for me.”

Mindi Scott lives near Seattle, Washington, with her drummer husband in a house with a non-sound-proof basement. Freefall, her first novel, was published in 2010. Her second novel, Live through This, is scheduled for release by Simon Pulse in fall of 2012. She is one of the coolest authors I’ve ever had the opportunity to connect with.

“Well you know the saying 'you're as young as you feel'? I've always preferred Young Adult fiction because for me, it's a bit of a magical time machine that transports me back to an age I still feel very connected with. Only this time around, I'm wiser and can see the blind spots I didn't when I actually was a teen. Being a Young Adult author allows me a sort of power to rewrite events. I can get back at the mean girl, claim the captain of the football team as my own or stake a vampire if I want to. It allows me to meet the girl I used to be within the pages while remaining steady and thinking like the grown up I am now.”

Jennifer Murgia is the author of Angel Star and Lemniscate. After receiving recognition for her poetry, she went on to use her talents to bring characters to life in fiction novels that are authentic, intriguing, and personal. She currently resides in Pennsylvania with her husband and two children –AND, someone I’m proud to call my friend.

1 comment: