Friday, July 1, 2011

THE SUMMER MYTH SPECTACULAR 
WITH GODDESS AUTHOR TERA LYNN CHILDS





The next goddess author in my series, Tera Lynn Childs, has been one of my favorites since her book OH. MY. GODS. hit shelves. I mean, how can I not love her stories? As a first generation Greek-American, I once pondered my ancestry as a child. Hey, don't laugh. You never know. I could be descended from a long line of Greek gods and goddesses. Okay, okay...probably not, but it’s fun to fantasize. And when I do, Tera Lynn Child’s books come in handy. So I’ve decided to review two of Tera’s books. Because that’s the kind of agape (Greek translation: love) I have for her and her stories. 

If you’re an adult who reads and/or writes YA, these collages just might bring back some memories of your own high school days. These were once all the rage. And if you're a young adult who has never made one of these collages yourself, it's time to break out the glue stick. I highly recommend it. Have fun! That’s what reading, writing and living is all about. Awesomeness never fades. 

OH. MY GODS. TRAILER





Oh...my...gods...yowza!

MY REVIEW: OH. MY GODS.

Phoebe Castro needs to stay on track, literally and figuratively, in order to score a scholarship to USC. She knows exactly what she wants. She’s going to USC with her two best friends, and everything will be perfect.

So when her Mom comes back from a trip and announces she’s getting married to a complete stranger, Phoebe’s life spins out of her control. She’s forced to move to Serfpoula— a secret island in the Aegean—to live with a new family, which comes complete with a spoiled evil stepsister who is hell-bent on making phoebe feel like an outcast.

Enrolled in an exclusive academy where her new stepfather is headmaster, and the students are anything but ordinary, Phoebe knows getting that scholarship is her only way off the island. But at this school, the track stars (and students) are descendants of the Greek Gods, and she going to need Olympic sized luck to compete, physically and academically.

Meanwhile, Griffin Blake, the school’s gorgeous track star, is as determined as anyone to keep Phoebe feeling like a “nothos” (meaning: normal one). And although she thinks he’s a colossal jerk, she can’t help but feel attracted to him. She knows making the track team is the first step in getting off the island, even if she does have to compete with the descendants of Ares (the God of war) to do it.

But in the end, maybe, just maybe, there’s more to Phoebe Castro than meets the eye. This book has a fantastic sequel—GODDESS BOOT CAMP. Pick it up if you want to learn how Phoebe takes to Goddess Training.

FORGIVE MY FINS TRAILER:






Decisions...decisions...what’s a mer-girl to do?

MY REVIEW: FORGIVE MY FINS

Lily’s life on land is anything but dry. This mermaid tale had me hook, line and sinker from the first chapter when archenemy—and sexy next-door neighbor—Quince Fletcher spies on Lily during on of her rejuvenating mer-baths, calling her on the phone to tease her. Quince refers to Lily as princess in the most condescending tone, but has no clue how accurate he is.

Quince knows Lily has the hots for It-boy Brody Bennett. She’s determined to ask Brody to the dance so she can kiss him and start the mer-bond that will allow her to take him to her father’s kingdom of Thalassinia, deep in the sea. So when Quince offers to devise a plan that will help lily capture Brody’s heart, she resists. It takes some convincing but Lily eventually takes the bait, going so far as to dress in the sexy pirate wench costume Quince gives her in counterpart to Brody’s pirate.

Under Quince’s advisement Lily waits in the library for Brody, hoping to tell him how she feels. She’s about to give up hope when, at the last minute, Quince shows up in the dark—also dressed as a pirate—and gives Lily her first kiss. The chemistry in the kiss is both shocking and electrifying to Lily (much to her surprise). But by the time she figures out it’s Quince and not Brody—what’s done is done. The mer-bond she hoped to form with Brody is now building with Quince faster than a wave rolling onto shore.

Land-lover and motorcycle boy, Quince Fletcher will stay a merman forever if Lily can’t convince her father to sever the bond. And what follows is a sweet, sigh-producing series of tests and failures that will leave you rooting for Quince and scratching your head, asking “Brody who?”

In this fantastic, mythical, and charming story, Tera Lynn Childs does a fantastic job of making you feel for her characters. I was drawn to Lily and Quince and couldn’t wait to find out how she played through Lily’s indecision. In the end, I was left filled with anticipation of what would come next as only a truly skilled story teller can do. FINS ARE FOREVER is the next installment in the series, and it appears as though the darker side of Lily’s family is coming to land to roost. Holy Catfish! This ought to be good! : )


INTERVIEW WITH TERA LYNN CHILDS

WHY I YA: How did you come up with the ideas for your books?

TERA LYNN: I get ideas from everywhere, but I got the idea for OH. MY. GODS. from reality TV. I was brainstorming titles for another book and was playing around with the names of reality shows. There was a show on at the time called Growing Up Gotti about the daughter and grandsons of the mob boss John Gotti. I twisted it to be Growing Up Godly and loved it. Since I don’t write religious fiction, I knew the Godly bit had to refer to something else. I’d always loved Greek mythology, so the Greek gods were a perfect fit. Then I just brainstormed until I found a story to go with the title.

WHY I YA: Have you always wanted to write a book for young adults?

TERA LYNN: No. I started off writing historical romance and then chick lit. I blame my OH. MY. GODS. working title of Growing Up Godly for getting me into YA, too. Since obviously someone in the story had to be Growing Up then I knew it had to be about teens. That being said, I wouldn’t change my path for anything. I love writing for and about teens.

WHY I YA: What drew you to Greek mythology?

TERA LYNN: Besides the title thing (again) I have loved Greek mythology all my life. It’s one of those things I obsessed over as a child, reading books and studying history to learn more about this part of our Western cultural background.

WHY I YA: Who was your favorite character to write and why?

TERA LYNN: I love all my characters of course (they’d never cooperate again if I didn’t say that) but I have a special place in my heart for the mean girls. Wicked step-sister Stella and witchy ex-girlfriend Adara get to have all the spice and snark I sometimes wish I had in real life. But the thing I really love about writing them is making them bad and then going behind the scenes and revealing the reasons for their attitudes. I can’t let any bad character stay bad for long. (I reserved the right for that to change in future books. *cough* SWEET VENOM *cough*)

WHY I YA: What ran through your mind the first time you saw your book in print (or the cover for your book)?

TERA LYNN: I think I felt relief. That thing I had been working so hard for, for so long, was finally becoming a tangible reality, and I was just glad to reach the next rung on the ladder.
WHY I YA: How long did it take for you to write the book, and how many rounds of revisions did you go through?

TERA LYNN: I wrote the book really quickly because I’d pitched it to an agent who requested the full. I think I finished in about six weeks on either side of a conference. I went through two big revisions; the first came in the form of a seven page letter, the second in nine pages. Then there was a round of line edits followed by copyedits and, finally, page proofs. From the time I sold it took two years for the book to hit the shelves.

WHY I YA: What’s the best piece of writing advice you ever received?

TERA LYNN: There are no absolutes, no rules that can never be broken, nothing you absolutely have to or can’t do when it comes to writing. For every rule there are numerous exceptions. Just write the book as it needs to be written, send the characters on the journey before them, and it will work out for the best.

WHY I YA: How do you deal with negative criticism or reviews (if any)?

TERA LYNN: If any? Hahahaha. Um, yeah, there is some. There will always be some. Always. I deal with it by trying to remember that opinions are subjective. Books and reading tastes are very personal. There are books I love that other people can’t stand and vice versa. No book is going to please everyone, except maybe The Hunger Games. And I recently read a quote (on Regretsy, of all places) that says, “Criticism is the price you pay for having an audience.” True story.

WHY I YA: What’s next from Tera Lynn Childs | What can your fans look forward to?

TERA LYNN:  First, my mermaid series continues this summer with the second installment, FINS ARE FOREVER. My mermaids, by the way, got their magical powers from Poseidon’s sea nymph Capheira. Then, this fall, I’m starting a new trilogy about triplet monster-hunting descendants of Medusa in which I turn the Gorgon legacy upside down. The first book, SWEET VENOM, will be out September 6th.

To Tera Lynn,
Thank you so much for agreeing to let me interview you for my blog. But more importantly, thanks for being there for me when I needed someone to give me the push that keeps me on the path I know was born to take. Maybe there is something grandiose buried deep within me after all.



Me poli agape,
Demetra 
Tera Lynn Childs, Me (Demetra Brodsky), and the talented Sophie Jordan at the RT Book-lover's Convention

3 comments:

  1. Dude, what an awesome interview! Love all of Tera's books . . . I even bought Oh My Gods! for a fun book for my girls to read in our homeschool when they get older and we study myths :-) And I'm so jealous of that picture lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great interview! I just discovered Tera about a month ago myself. One of my crit girls suggested I read Forgive My Fins and I was hooked! Now I'm reading Fins Are Forever, and seriously considering going to by Oh My Gods right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's awesome. Thanks for following the blog. I hope you'll check out my next two Summer Myth Spectacular posts—Aimee Carter on 7/21 followed by Josephine Angelini. ; )

    ReplyDelete