Saturday, October 8, 2011

HOW I GOT MY AGENT

Fine. I didn't really get an agent, but I did get this awesome letter of representation from my nine-year-old daughter Ava. 




At dinner one night, she asked in all seriousness, “Why can’t I just look up some publishing houses on the Internet and tell them I’m your agent?”

—Um, she’s NINE.

Can any one of you imagine this powerhouse when she’s twenty? I can. And so can Agent Laurie McLean who got a kick out this letter when I emailed it to her. She said to have Ava call her when she’s ready to come to work for her, and you know what...Ava asked me if there were any good colleges in San Francisco, so she could work for Laurie and go to school. She’s the very definition of go-getter.

The kid’s got moxie.

She even painted herself a sign for her office, which tells me she’s an agent who isn’t afraid to get her hands dirty. 


Hell, she may be my best shot.

Let’s take a look at the PRO’s.

1. She’s actually read the entire manuscript. That’s a start.
2. She asked if she could dress up as the main character for Halloween. She’s truly invested in the main character.
3. She young, tenacious and hungry for the win. I mean, if she shows this much enthusiasm at a Green Day concert, can you imagine what she’d do with negotiating royalties? No fear.



4. She isn’t afraid to put herself in front of the camera at publicity events.



5. She truly loves books. Ava won the award for the most pages read in her entire elementary school for the Read-A-Thon and received this sweet, monogrammed bag as her prize, which she’ll bring to future Book Expo’s.


6. Her letter was professional, courteous, and individualized. See the transcription below.


Dear Mrs. Brodsky,

I loved it. It’s the book for me. I wish to represent you.
I hope you say yes, even though I am very inexperienced.

Sincerely, 

Ava’s Agency.

Here's the CON’s:

1. She is inexperienced.

Well la-dee-dah. Aren’t we all. I can live with that. This is a changing industry in a volatile market. All I can say is shine up your query letters, folks, because this little go-getter is ready to take on some hot clients. I, for one,  think we should get in at the ground level, don’t you?


16 comments:

  1. Demetra this is HILARIOUS! And so awesome. Ava's gonna be a dangerous agent - watch out publishing houses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that is the most adorable thing ever. Your PRO list is way longer than your CONS, so I say sign and go for it. You'll be the big client that puts her on the map! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sophia. She's hilarious. You'd love her. She wants to be an actress. Excuse me—a "famous" actress.

    Amanda - I already said yes. The best thing about it is the tiny black blazer with 3/4 ruffle sleeves she was wearing when she presented the letter to me.

    Scott-Yes, Agent Ava is a Donald Maas fan. Please send query and first five pages. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THAT is the cutest post I've read in a long time :) How awesome to have such a powerhouse of love standing in your corner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think she's amazing as is this post!!! If she's interested I'd like to send her my query, I have a feeling this go-getter would do my manuscript justice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the most awesome and hilarious thing I've seen in forever. Ava rules.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore this! She is going to be an amazing agent and I can see many six figure deals in her future, including yours :)

    Go Ava-Paw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soooo adorable!!! She's definitely got a future in the biz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, I want to hug your daughter! Cutest. Letter. Ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post made my day! It has been a rough day with a few people giving me unsolicited criticism (work hazard, right?). This reminds me, however, that my family are my best cheerleaders. I adore what your daughter wrote. She definitely has a bright future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. D- this is awesome and this post is hysterical. I am so proud you are doing such amazing things, and Ava is, well, YOU! (in every wonderful way). I can't believe she is approaching tween status, yikes, do let me know how that goes, so I can be ready in 10 years. :) So looking forward to your success! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable! I only caught this because someone I know commented on it on LinkedIn.

    Best,
    Joy

    http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/chibijoy/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just found your blog through Twitter, and had to say this is so adorable! And rather impressive, too-- she's obviously learned a lot from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for your comments. I knew I had to share this story with other writers and YA lovers, who would appreciate it as much as I do. Ava is truly hilarious. Seriously, I think she's one to watch! : )

    And, the bonus is that I get to follow some new and awesome blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm happy to meet a fellow YA author.

    Good for Ava! I'd do something real special if my kid wrote me a letter like that. :)

    ReplyDelete